Flickring Assessment

12/14/2006 11:27:00 pm

I'm not entirely happy with the results of my students flickr assignments. Some of them are simply breathtaking, others, well ... not so much.

Over the last week or so we've been talking about the need to have a rubric to guide the students in their work and to fairly recognize when someone does really great work and when they don't. I was thinking that I'd put together an outline of a rubric and then we could discuss it in my classes; try to come to some sort of consensus that provides a "picture" of success and rewards effort appropriately.

As I was marking some the assignments tonight I created a new google doc and started taking notes on what I would like to include in the rubric. Then I saw the [Collaborate] button ... hmmm ... (Google Docs allows you to invite people to your documents/spreadsheets and make changes together in real time, online, through your web browser.)

I decided that sharing the doc with every one of my students would be a better way to do it. I started it, now I'm going to let my students take the lead. I've included Lani in the group because I feel she's an important part of our class community (she's been mentoring all my classes since September). I told her she should feel free to sit back and watch or chime in with her own 2 cents. Whatever she's most comfortable with.

There are approximately 50 people working on this document as of 20 minutes ago.

This is going to be fun to watch. ;-)

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Pretty please, can a couple of us take a peek at that document? I've tried writing rubrics with students before -- but I've never been happy with the results. Maybe Docs can help with that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure. If anyone would like to watch this unfold email me and I'll send you an invite. As a matter of fact, if you want to dip your toes into the mentorship waters I'll invite you as a collaborator. Let me know what you prefer. ;-)

    (In this context I imagine a mentor asking pointed questions of the students as they wrestle with the material. You'll see what I mean when you see the doc and read Lani's comments. She's simply the best! ;-) I've set the completion date to be this Friday, Dec. 22. If you're really interested email me asap. ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love to get a look at that rubric as well if thats possible! I'm intrigued with the idea of using online collaborative tools to engage students in understanding their own assessment.

    I'd also be interested to know how easy it is for you to comprehend who made changes; In my experience this can be difficult to do with a frequently updated document.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Darren,yes I would like to have a look as well and maybe more. Thank you for your transparency with this. I learn a lot from you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Justin: Email me and I'll invite you in as an observer. If you want to participate at the level of collaborator you'll find out how to do that here. I use a FOAF based sort of system for people I don't know.

    Jo: I've invited you as a collaborator. The choice is yours if you'd like to participate or just watch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete