A del.icio.us Idea

11/07/2005 12:35:00 am

This idea has been knocking around in my head since it was first suggested two months ago at Alan Levine's blog. This weekend serendipity smiled. One of my students emailed me with a good link for our class .... a door opened .... so I posted this on all my classroom blogs ....


I recently received this email from a student in another class:

Hey Mr. K.

This is one of the websites I was looking at that had simplifying radicals..

http://regentsprep.org/Regents/math/radicals/pracRad.htm

I found a few that I thought were good just by typing "radicals" in google, they really helped me out.

See you Monday,
************

Students often find more, and better, sites than I do. You're better websurfers than I am. ;-) That got me thinking .....

I spend a lot of time looking for good websites that help us learn in this class. But what if we all spent a little time doing that? What if there was an easy way for us to both save our bookmarks (without cluttering up our favourites list) and share them with the whole class with the click of a single button? And what if we could access those bookmarks not just from home, but from any computer in the world? Hmmm .....

Well, there is an easy way to do that! Instead of saving bookmarks on your home computer sign up for a free account at a site called del.icio.us. You can then access them from any computer in the world. You can easily install a little button/bookmark that allows you to save any webpage you're looking at without interupting your surfing. Tag it using this tag:

[apcalc] or [pc30s] or [pc20s]

Now we can all get each others bookmarks with the click of a single button in our del.icio.us accounts.

I'll go one better than that. If you all jump in on this idea, I'll write a post on our blog (with a permanent link in the sidebar) that will load the 10 most recently saved links automatically as you find them. I'll also include a link to the archive that you can browse at your leisure.

If this interests you (and I can't imagine how it doesn't) read this tutorial on how to get started with del.icio.us. You might also be interested in watching this screencast that illustrates just how powerful this web tool is.

When you've signed up for a del.icio.us account (register here) leave a comment on this post telling me so. When I see some action here I'll blog that self-updating post. ;-)


Now let's wait and see what unfolds .... ;-)

You Might Also Like

0 comments