Bud & I: The Back to School Edition

9/04/2006 09:10:00 am

Bud and I got together on Friday September 1 to do what we hope will be the first in a series of podcasts for this new school year. We talked about how our use of blogs and other online social tools is evolving and what our plans are for the new school year -- it's our Back To School Podcast. We talked for about 45 minutes and had a good time bouncing ideas off each other. Give it a listen and add your ideas into the mix.

In this podcast I talk about my plans to begin using a new blogging service for my class blogs and my motivations for doing so. After talking with Bud I looked into the new updated Blogger (currently in beta). All my new blogs will be using Blogger Beta. Also, listen for a "special announcement" right at the end of our talk. ;-)

The Back To School Podcast (46.2 MB, 48 minutes 7 seconds)
[streamed audio]

Show Notes
Darren's new class blogs (Pre-Cal 30S (Fall '06), Pre-Cal 40S (Fall '06), AP Calculus AB 2006-07)

Darren's old class blogs (Pre-Cal 40S (Winter '06), Applied Math 40S, AP Calculus AB)

James Farmer

edublogs

Richard's scribe post

Ewan McIntosh

Ewan's June workshop (I know I said July -- I made a mistake ;-) )

Blogger

WordPress

AP Calculus blog

Google

cocomments

Blogger beta (new)

Bloglines

ellg

think.com

www.educationbridges.net/elgg/ (Everyone makes mistakes, ;-) )

Dave Tosh

Bill Fitzgerald

moodle

Will Richardson

Building Learning Communities 2006

Whiplash!

Clarence Fisher's post: network administrator

The Mentorship Project

Othello movie in Warcraft (Bud's student)

Warcraft

Rocky Mountain News

Pachelbel Canon - on guitar

You Tube

Marco Torres

Marco's keynote @ BLC 2006

The World is Flat

Students made this... (safe blogging guidelines)

Steve Lazar

K12 Online 2006

Elluminate

Sheryl Nussbaum-Beach

oldeschoolnews.com

Bud's Blog

Darren's Blog

Comments are welcomed and encouraged. You can leave an audio comment or text by clicking below. ;-)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Anonymous4/9/06 05:56

    I think Blogger Beta is an excellent choice. When I was still hoping to use blogs for my senior math course, it was Blogger Beta that I decided on using. It's so much simpler to set up compared to its old self and other blogging services. But, with Beta, the students will not be able to leave comments on the older Blogger.

    Have a great school year!

    Frank
    insegno.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/9/06 23:35

    Hi Darren, just listened to your podcast this morning. Some interesting thoughts you shared especially about students who keep getting comments after the class is over. It interesting that this sort of learning leads to the blurring of the neat boundaries our institutions might want to place on learning. The boundaries are dissolving in Learning 2.0
    Jo

    ReplyDelete